Sunday, July 12, 2009

Flanally

Sometimes I am shocked at the ease of a recipe. I attempt what I believe to be my hardest recipes on days when I have a lot of free time to devote to them. When I finally decide to undertake a recipe I don't want to rush through it or skip steps because of time constraints. This recipe had been on my "to try" list for a long time. I was intimidated by the prospect of making anything custard-like after my failed attempt at the Lime Tart over a year ago. I finally had a weekend that wasn't overly busy so I put it on the menu as a side to our seafood and sausage skewers. I was amazed at how quick this recipe came together and how effortless it ended up being. And the results were incredible! The sweet corn paired perfectly with the light custard and the salty bite of the Parmesan rounded it out. I really didn't know what to expect from this recipe since I had never eaten flan of any sort before. These would be great as a side or an appetizer at any meal and are sure to impress. They made a beautiful presentation and the flavor was marvelous.

Sweet Corn and Parmesan Flan
Adapted from Cooking Light June 2006

Yeild

6 servings

Ingredients
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
  • 1 teaspoon flour
  • 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • A pinch of cayenne
  • 4 large eggs
  • 18 small multi-colored heirloom tomatoes, halved
  • 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add corn, and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat. Set aside 1 cup corn kernels.

Place remaining corn in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until coarsely chopped. Add the teaspoon of flour and pulse 2 more times. Add milk and next 5 ingredients (through eggs) to food processor;

pulse 4 times or until combined.

Pour about 1/2 cup corn mixture into each of 6 (7-ounce) ramekins coated with cooking spray using a ladle.

Place ramekins in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch.

Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until the center barely moves when ramekins are touched. Remove ramekins from pan; cool 5 minutes on a wire rack.

Invert flans onto each of 6 plates. Garnish each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons corn kernels, 6 tomato halves, and 1 teaspoon basil.

5 comments:

Kerstin said...

What a delicious savory flan - it looks perfect! I haven't attempted flan yet, because I'm a little scared of custards too and I need to get ramekins! You made it look very easy :)

Gabriela said...

Your sweet corn flan looks and sounds sensational! i can't wait for my DH to make it for me. He already makes a mean flan so this recioe should be right up his ally. It is always a pleasure visiting your blog.

Krista said...

Yum! I'm only had the dessert kind of flan. I love this idea. Yours looks delicious!

Molly Jean said...

Oh my, that DOES look good!

teresa said...

I'm very impressed! Delicious!