Friday, August 28, 2009

Succulent Soft Shells

Whenever I visit New Orleans I have trouble transitioning back to the "real world". I get very home sick when it is time to return to DC and I really miss my beloved home town and the people that reside there. To me, it would seem normal to miss home most when I haven't been there for a while; but I miss it the greatest when I have just spent several days there. One way I like to combat the home sickness is through cooking. I always have an array of New Orleans staples in my freezer and I like to use them to give me a little piece of back home while in my present home. I couldn't wait for Friday night to prepare these special soft shell crabs we have been storing in the freezer for a while. They were distinctive and delectable - exactly what I needed to help with my longing for New Orleans and my family.

Sauteed Soft-shell Crabs with Garlic Butter
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients
  • 4 soft-shell crabs, cleaned and patted dry
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • Parsley flakes, for garnish
  • Essence, for garnish, recipe in link above
Directions

If not already done when purchased, clean the Soft Shell Crabs by snipping across the front of the crab with kitchen shears to remove the eyes.

Then lift each flap of the top shell and remove the gills.

Season the flour with 1/2 teaspoon of Essence. Season crabs with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour,

shaking off excess. Set aside.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the oil and saute the crabs until soft, about 2 minutes on each side.

Remove the crabs and set aside. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then add the white wine. Cook until wine has reduced to about 1/2. Swirl in the butter and the parsley flakes.

Season with salt and pepper butter sauce. Transfer crabs to a plate, spoon sauce over the crabs and garnish with Essence.

8 comments:

Molly Jean said...

WOW! I'm so impressed with you ability to clean and prep a crab! I want to eat this... but I'm not sure I have the gusto to cut out the eyes, etc.

You should have a hands on cooking demo for this. I will totally go. But there needs to be margaritas involved :)

Angela said...

I know what you mean being home sick. I live in the D.C. area too and constantly miss where I'm from -- another food-culture state: Oregon! The crab caught my eye on foodgawker. Delicious!!

Caroline said...

Oooh! Finally - some Alien Food!! This looks very similar to "Pipius Claws", which are considered to be a Klingon delicacy. If you paired your SS Crabs with some Romulan Ale it would make for an awesome meal.
Also, you are very brave...:)

Kerstin said...

I'm so impressed, they look delicious! My hubby has been homesick for Lithuania lately and I've been trying to make him traditional dishes too - it seems to help a bit.

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

I like the other commenters and am extremely impressed at your abilities! Even with your instructions I know I would never make it through doing that! I will just have to enjoy it through your pictures, which are wonderful!

Kitty said...

Those look incredibly delicious. I am not at all squeamish about working with crabs because I know how great the end product is. You are very lucky to have gotten some soft-shells.....love them. Great photos too!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I *love* soft shell crab and this looks delicious! Great job!

jillian said...

These look heavenly and perfectly prepared!