Monday, October 12, 2009

POMade

A representative from POM Wonderful contacted me and asked if I would like to sample their antioxidant rich pomegranate juice. My husband is a huge fruit juice fan and so I happily accepted. In a few short days we received a whole complimentary case of the healthy juice right to our door step.

Forrest really enjoyed the juice as a refreshment, but I wanted to find a creative way to use the juice in a recipe. Luckily I didn't have to look very far because the POM website has several recipes that require the ruby-colored liquid. When I found this recipe, I knew I had found what I was looking for. This was AMAZING. The phyllo-wrapped brie tasted like mini grilled cheese sandwiches and the POM reduction sauce was the perfect compliment!

Pan Toasted Brie with a POM Reduction Sauce
Adapted from POM Wonderful Chef Jake Linzenmeir

Ingredients

POM Raspberry Reduction:
  • 1 cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
  • 1/2 cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar

Pan-Toasted Brie:

  • 1/4 cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate
  • 1 lb. brie cheese, sliced into 1-1/2" squares
  • 1 box phyllo dough
  • 2 oz. unsalted butter

Preparation

POM Raspberry Reduction: Combine pomegranate juice, 1 cup pomegranate arils, raspberries and balsamic vinegar in a small stainless steel (non-reactive) saucepan,

heat to a low simmer and add the sugar,

continue to simmer over low heat until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (20 to 35 minutes), strain the reduction through a sieve to remove seeds while pressing firmly with the back of a large spoon to release all the juices, and continue to reduce over low heat if needed, (unused reduction can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days).

Pan-Toasted Brie: Melt butter in saucepan over low heat, slice phyllo dough lengthwise into 2" wide ribbons, roll/wrap individual brie squares in one ribbon of phyllo dough.

Brush lightly with melted butter to hold closed,

lightly toast the wrapped brie in a pan with 2 teaspoons of butter until light golden brown,

remove wrapped brie from pan and place on individual plates; drizzle with warm pomegranate raspberry reduction and garnish with fresh pomegranate arils if desired.

5 comments:

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

That looks delicious, I love Brie! I have never tried POM and might have to pick some up to do this recipe!

What's next said...

Looks wonderful- I'm going to try that.

kimberly said...

That looks amazing!!! Is it as good as it sounds? I host a Christmas night party - appetizers only - for my family, would this fit in? I LOVE pomegranates, grew up eating them in CA, and there is something very Christmas to me about the combination of pomegranate and brie.

Nakiya @ Taste of Baltimore said...

That looks super yummy!!!!
Oh man, I LOVE Pom!!!!! I'm really into their teas right now too.

Elizabeth said...

kymmi,

It is as good as it sounds. It was actually amazing. The taste of the phyllo wrapped cheese was so satisfying and the colors are perfect for Christmas and so are the flavors. They also taste very special and I think they would be perfect for your Christmas night appetizer party.