Sunday, October 25, 2009

Souped-Up

This is my 250th recipe post on this blog. And just when I think I can't possibly find another new and interesting recipe - BAM. One finds me! I am always surprised at how many mouthwatering and uniquely different recipes are out there in the world. It just goes to show you that food is timeless and the possibilities surrounding it are endless. I LOVE FOOD!

This recipe in particular isn't anything I have ever read about on a restaurant menu, I have never seen a celebrity chef whip it up on my favorite channel and I have never been served it during a dinner party. But as soon as I saw the title I was hooked. I was going to make this soup no matter how complicated it may be and I would be making it soon. Much to my pleasure, it wasn't complicated at all and was probably one of the easier things I have ever made. And boy was it delicious! The melty cheese and the tender eggplant worked wonders with the hearty tomato saucey broth. This was a definate winner and righfully deserves the coveted spot on this blog as recipe post number 250!

Eggplant Parmesan Soup
Adapted from Berolli on MyRecipes.com

Yield

2 large entree servings or 4 small appetizer servings

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 small Italian or Japanese eggplant, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 pouch Bertolli® Premium Summer Crushed Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
  • 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
  • 1 Parmigiano-Reggiano Rind
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz.)
  • 2 tablespoons Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation

Heat Olive Oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook eggplant, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.

Add onion and salt and pepper the vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until eggplant and onions are golden and tender.

Stir in Sauce (14.5 oz pouch of premium Bertolli sauce pictured below)

and broth.

Add the rind of a used piece of Parmigiano-Reggiano to help thicken the soup.

Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until thickened.

Place 2 oven-proof soup bowls or crocks on cookie sheet. Remove Rind from soup. Evenly spoon soup into crocks, then top with Parmesan cheese,

Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.

Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Serve, if desired, with crusty Italian bread.

16 comments:

MaryBeth said...

My husband would simply love this soup, it looks wonderful Elizabeth!

Bethany said...

I've never seen sauce in a pouch like that before. Is it sold near the jarred sauces?

lisaiscooking said...

This is perfect for the eggplant I have from my CSA right now. Looks really delicious!

michelle said...

I wish my husband would eat eggplant! This looks awesome! I will have to make it when he is out of town :)

Woody said...

Happy Semiquincentennial Blog. You are a great cook and an even better wife.

Karen Clementi said...

yum! that looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 250th!! Love the recipes but love the stories more!! Lou

Elizabeth said...

That looks so hearty & comforting. I love soups like that.

Debbie said...

I've never seen eggplant in a soup before. Sounds delicious!

Jade said...

Congrats on 250 posts!! I love your blog. This eggplant soup looks wonderful.

Kerstin said...

What a cool idea for a soup, it looks delicious!

And, congrats on 250 posts!

Elizabeth said...

Bethany,

I hadn't seen the pouches either and was nervous about finding them. But they were right there with the regular jarred tomato sauces at my local Giant. If you can find it just substitute 2 cups of any brand jarred tomato and basil sauce.

Spryte said...

Wow! That looks good!

Suzy said...

Oh wow, this is a gotta try for me. I love eggplant parmesan. My husband isn't crazy about it but loves soups so maybe I could get him to try. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Teresa said...

Wow! What an awesome idea. :-) Can't wait to try this one. It looks heavenly.

Elliott Broidy said...

Looks so tasty.