Monday, March 14, 2011

Restful Rice

I love this recipe for more reasons than its flavor. I loved this recipe before I even tasted it because of its method of preparation for the rice. Although I cook often and have tried my hand at several cooking techniques and believe I have triumphed over many of them, one thing I have not excelled in is rice preparation. I am never satisfied with the way my stove top rice turns out. It is either too crunchy or too mushy or too wet. That is why when I found this recipe I was fired up to give it a try. I didn't have to boil rice on the stove to enjoy the groovy grain. This rice was perfectly cooked. It was a perfect texture coupled with the fabulous flavor of the dish. This recipe is a definite winner!

Chicken and Rice
Adapted from Cooking Light October 2010

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 carrot, thinly sliced
  • 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup long-grain white rice
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
  • 2/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Pecorino Romano cheese
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add 4 chicken thighs to pan;

sauté 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Repeat with remaining chicken. Place chicken on a plate on the side.

3. Add onion and carrot to pan; sauté 4 minutes.

Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes.

Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Add rice; sauté 1 minute.

Spoon rice mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish coated with cooking spray;

stir in broth, 1/4 cup water,

and cream.

Arrange chicken over rice mixture;

sprinkle with cheese.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until chicken is done.

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

7 comments:

teresa said...

oh yum, this is filled with some of my favorite ingredients!

Shell said...

Just cooked this - yummalicious!

Victor said...

OMG! This looks so yummy. I want some right now (even thought it is midnight now)

Kerstin said...

Yum, this looks so flavorful and perfect to make on a weeknight! If you don't have a rice cooker, definitely get one, -rice turns out perfect every time and you just have to push one button :)

susan said...

Omg this is delicious, this if the first recipe that I have tried from your site.. I'm for sure trying everything!!!! So easy yet delicious, thanks!!

Better Version of Me said...

I really dislike chicken thighs, would it still be as delicious with breasts or legs?

Wendy said...

This was so delicious. Been looking for a good chicken and rice recipe this most definitely will be a new family favorite. A must try recipe.