Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Special Salt Selection

It isn't very often that the ingredient I most want to showcase in a dish is salt. However, that was the case when I set out to make these pita pizzas. I wanted the salt to be the star. I had these aspirations for the spice because it was special. Not just any salt. Certianly not something poured out of a metal spout from that blue cylindrical container. This salt was "Fumee de Sel", fleur de sel crystals which are hand harvested on the coast of France, then gently smoked over wood chips from aged oak Chardonnay wine barrels. Fancy right?

I purchased this Fumee de Sel when we traveled to Seattle over a year ago. There is a lovely shop in Pike's Place Market called Market Spice. I procured a bag of this unique salt and used it here and there in recipes, but never found the right recipe with simple enough ingredients to really give the salt the attention it deserves. This grilled "pizza" recipe was perfect! The specialty salt added a smokey flavor to the veggies and the pita that complimented the grilling perfectly.

Grilled Portobello Goat Cheese Pizzas
Adapted from Cooking Light August 2004

Ingredients

  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 (6-inch) pita rounds
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 (6-ounce) package portobello mushrooms
  • 2 medium Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1/3 cup (3 ounces) goat cheese
  • 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil

Preparation

  • Preheat an outdoor grill over medium heat.
  • Combine garlic and 1 tsp of olive oil; brush evenly over pitas.
  • Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper evenly over pitas.
  • Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper evenly over mushrooms and tomatoes. Brush mushrooms and tomatoes with remaining oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • Grill pita for 1 minute each side; mushrooms for 6 minutes or until tender, turning once. Grill tomatoes for 1 minute.
  • Combine goat cheese with crushed red pepper. Spread goat cheese evenly over warm pitas. Arrange the mushrooms and tomatoes evenly over pitas.
  • Sprinkle with basil and Serve.
Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

** Disclaimer: I was not compensated in any way by Market Spice. I just wanted to mention the shop since it left such a great impression on me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I have some alderwood smoked salt I got at Whole Foods, I wonder if it would work well on this....

Elizabeth said...

christen,
i am sure it would be divine! give it a try!

Woody said...

I thought the key to this dish was the salt and getting the mushrooms right. I lucked out and get the mushrooms right on the grill. I left the mushrooms on for closer to 8 mins, but I know everyone's grill is different. So result may vary.

teresa said...

how lovely! i love the mushrooms.

Unknown said...

Looks amazing! Will definitely have to try this before summers over.

Melanie said...

You know I die for goat cheese. This looks amazing. I need to try this :)