Caramelized Onion, Gruyere and Bacon Spread
Adapted from Cooking Light November 2011
- Cooking spray
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 3 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/3 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan lightly with cooking spray. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; cook 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons cheese. Combine remaining cheese, caramelized onion, 1 tablespoon chives, and the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a 1-quart glass or ceramic baking dish coated lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle with reserved 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
- Serve with toasted baguette slices.