Monday, August 19, 2013

Super Sauce




Cooking Light has some phenomonal Asian inspired recipes.  I have blogged many of them before and even mentioned how perfectly matched their suggested ingredients are for these recipes.  I like "Chinese" food, but can honestly say we haven't ordered Chinese since we moved in this house about three years ago.  And I think that is because I have more fun making my own.  I have made Chinese food menu type dishes several times over the last few years.  After having a bunch of Cooking Light Asian recipes under my belt, I feel confident about two things: they are insanely delicious, but there is never enough sauce.  I know that Cooking Light has to stick to certain guidelines in order to be able to deem their recipes "light" and I am assuming they need to keep the Asian recipes under wraps when it comes to sodium content....hence, the reduced sauce volume.  So for this recipe below and most others, I just double the ingredients in the marinade/sauce portion of the recipe.  Totally cheating on sticking to the nutritional facts, but perfectly delicious!

 

Beef and Broccoli Bowl
Adapted from Cooking Light October 2012

 

Ingredients

  • 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag brown rice 
  • 1/2 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 1 (12-ounce) boneless sirloin steak, cut into thin strips 
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 2 cups broccoli florets 
  • 1 cup vertically sliced red onion 
  • 1 cup chopped carrot 
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
  • 1/3 cup sliced green onions

 

Preparation


1. Cook rice according to the package directions.

2. Combine soy sauce, cornstarch, and hoisin in a medium bowl.



Add beef;



toss to coat. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Remove beef, reserving marinade. Add beef to pan;



cook 2 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove beef from pan. Add broccoli and next 4 ingredients (through sesame oil) to pan;



cook 8 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. (Place a lid on the pot and steam for about 2 of the 8 minutes if you desire softer broccoli).  Add reserved marinade to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute. Add beef to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve over rice.



  Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

4 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I made a similar one with chicken breast...so I know this is a very tasty stir-fry.

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

That looks really good. I like making my own Chinese food too and I love trying out new recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love Chinese/Asian food but most of them are very high in calories so it great you can make your own. Will def be trying this.

xoxo
Ivy
http://www.purrpleivy.com/

Unknown said...

I am MRS COLLINS, from CANADA, I promise to share this testimony all over the world once my Husband return back to me, and today with all due respect i want to thank DR AKHERE for bringing joy and happiness to my relationship and my family. I want to inform you all that there is a spell caster that is real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things until i loosed my husband, I required help until i found a great spell caster, And he cast a love spell for me, and he assured me that I will get my husband back in two days after the spell has been cast. Three days later, my phone rang, and so shockingly, it was my husband who has not called me for past 6 months now, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to be my back bone till the rest of his life with me. DR AKHERE released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. As I`m writing this testimony right now I`m the most happiest woman on earth and me and my husband is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up. So that`s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe. All thanks goes to DR AKHERE for the excessive work that he has done for me. please brothers and sisters if you are ppassing throuhg any kind of problem contact this great sspell caster
via his email akheretemple@gmail.com