Monday, August 19, 2013

Super Sauce




Cooking Light has some phenomonal Asian inspired recipes.  I have blogged many of them before and even mentioned how perfectly matched their suggested ingredients are for these recipes.  I like "Chinese" food, but can honestly say we haven't ordered Chinese since we moved in this house about three years ago.  And I think that is because I have more fun making my own.  I have made Chinese food menu type dishes several times over the last few years.  After having a bunch of Cooking Light Asian recipes under my belt, I feel confident about two things: they are insanely delicious, but there is never enough sauce.  I know that Cooking Light has to stick to certain guidelines in order to be able to deem their recipes "light" and I am assuming they need to keep the Asian recipes under wraps when it comes to sodium content....hence, the reduced sauce volume.  So for this recipe below and most others, I just double the ingredients in the marinade/sauce portion of the recipe.  Totally cheating on sticking to the nutritional facts, but perfectly delicious!

 

Beef and Broccoli Bowl
Adapted from Cooking Light October 2012

 

Ingredients

  • 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag brown rice 
  • 1/2 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 1 (12-ounce) boneless sirloin steak, cut into thin strips 
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 2 cups broccoli florets 
  • 1 cup vertically sliced red onion 
  • 1 cup chopped carrot 
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
  • 1/3 cup sliced green onions

 

Preparation


1. Cook rice according to the package directions.

2. Combine soy sauce, cornstarch, and hoisin in a medium bowl.



Add beef;



toss to coat. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Remove beef, reserving marinade. Add beef to pan;



cook 2 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove beef from pan. Add broccoli and next 4 ingredients (through sesame oil) to pan;



cook 8 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. (Place a lid on the pot and steam for about 2 of the 8 minutes if you desire softer broccoli).  Add reserved marinade to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute. Add beef to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve over rice.



  Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

4 comments:

Angie Schneider said...

I made a similar one with chicken breast...so I know this is a very tasty stir-fry.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! said...

That looks really good. I like making my own Chinese food too and I love trying out new recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Purple Ivy said...

I love Chinese/Asian food but most of them are very high in calories so it great you can make your own. Will def be trying this.

xoxo
Ivy
http://www.purrpleivy.com/

Magie Nicholas said...

HOW TO GET YOUR DIVORCE EX HUSBAND & WIFE BACK BEFORE XMAS

I want to really use this medium to thank powerful Dr. Ugo wonders for helping me get my broken home back after my husband of 18 years left me for another lady. Two months ago my Husband filed for a divorce through his lawyer when we had no issues at all. i was surprised because our family was a very happy one with three beautiful kids that even neighbors were jealous of us. i never knew a girl he met at the mall cast a spell on him so he will love her alone and forget about his family. i tried all ways to reach him and make peace ordinarily but i could not because the potency of the spell was so high on him that he could not even get himself. a friend of mine who felt pity for me introduced me to Dr. Ugo through his email ( generalspelltemple@gmail.com ) so i contacted Dr. Ugo and told him all about my marital problem. He assured me that he will help me and that my husband will be back to me in 24 hours, i trusted him because he had worked for my friend who wont stop testifying about him. To my greatest surprise, after 24 hours of contacting Dr. Ugo, my husband called me to start begging and immediately came back to us and now we are happy family again. i cant stop thanking Dr. Ugo wonders and i advice anyone out there with any relationship or marriage problem to contact him immediately for help through his email generalspelltemple@gmail.com or call his mobile
phone number +1 383-336-9876
contact website: http://generalspelltempleblog.wordpress.com



HOW TO GET YOUR DIVORCE EX HUSBAND & WIFE BACK BEFORE XMAS

I want to really use this medium to thank powerful Dr. Ugo wonders for helping me get my broken home back after my husband of 18 years left me for another lady. Two months ago my Husband filed for a divorce through his lawyer when we had no issues at all. i was surprised because our family was a very happy one with three beautiful kids that even neighbors were jealous of us. i never knew a girl he met at the mall cast a spell on him so he will love her alone and forget about his family. i tried all ways to reach him and make peace ordinarily but i could not because the potency of the spell was so high on him that he could not even get himself. a friend of mine who felt pity for me introduced me to Dr. Ugo through his email ( generalspelltemple@gmail.com ) so i contacted Dr. Ugo and told him all about my marital problem. He assured me that he will help me and that my husband will be back to me in 24 hours, i trusted him because he had worked for my friend who wont stop testifying about him. To my greatest surprise, after 24 hours of contacting Dr. Ugo, my husband called me to start begging and immediately came back to us and now we are happy family again. i cant stop thanking Dr. Ugo wonders and i advice anyone out there with any relationship or marriage problem to contact him immediately for help through his email generalspelltemple@gmail.com or call his mobile
phone number +1 383-336-9876
contact website: http://generalspelltempleblog.wordpress.com